According to the CIPD the average employee was absent due to sickness for 6.6. days last year however there are wide variances within this figure. The average public sector employee was absent for 7.9 days while the average private sector employee was absent for 5.5 days.
Employee absence has a major impact on all organisations, however the likelihood is that all employees will become unwell at some point during their working lives. Managing absence effectively is not about encouraging employees to come into work when they are unwell; it is about encouraging them to take responsibility for their own health and for attending work regularly; supporting employees to return to work as soon as they are able; making reasonable adjustments where necessary and dealing promptly and sensitively with long-term absence so that the matter is resolved in a timely way.
Who is it for?
Anyone who has a responsibility for managing absence in their organisation.
What will the session cover?
- Why absence occurs, the importance of monitoring and measuring absence and the cost of absence
- How to conduct effective Return to Work interviews together with the most effective methods of tackling both long term and frequent short term absence
- How to deal with disability and reasonable adjustments
- Hints and tips to boost confidence in tackling difficult situations or managing absence
- The role of Occupational health and how to make an effective referral
- How to plan a phased return to work and deal with Fit notes
- How to move forward if absence levels become unsustainable.
Benefits of attending - You will be able to:
- Understand the legal framework for managing absence
- Ensure your establishment operates a fair and consistent process
- Know when / how to take action if required
Please check our scheduled course dates here. If you can't find a suitable date or would like to find out about bespoke and in-house courses, please contact us by email at Training-Education@capita.co.uk or on 08712 307 899 to discuss your requirements.